Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Stone Mountain Torture

At what point as a parent do you stop trying to make your children happy, because for some unknown reason, nothing you do ever seems to make them happy. I just don't understand where my children come from and why they act the way they do sometimes.

In an effort to have a fun and memorable Labor Day, we decided to go to Stone Mountain. Now, most normal children would be thrilled with such a decision being made on their behalf. But my children must not be normal. My children associate family fun with some type of ancient torture ritual where they are forced to try and have fun and be happy.

And believe me, we don't often venture out in an attempt at fun activities, and after yesterday, I remember why. So it's not like this is an every weekend kind of thing where we are dragging them around the country forcing fun family time on them.

I guess I am a bad parent because I refuse to buy them 25 drinks a piece, 10 bags of cotton candy, 5 boxes of popcorn, 100 pieces of candy, 2,000,000 different kinds of toys or sourvenirs, make them wait in line for their turn, walk from one place to the next, make them carry their own drinks (yes, believe it or not, I didn't make them go without SOMETHING to drink), made them stay together with us and not run off wherever they wanted to go, made them take turns going and doing what each one of them wanted to do, didn't constantly have food for them to shove in their mouths every five seconds, didn't make them shoot off silent fireworks at the Laser Show, and couldn't do anything about how hot of a day it was or how crowded the park was.

I am so ashamed of myself.

But despite quite a bit of time looking like this . .


and even more time acting like this . . .


I somehow managed to capture the rare moments when they forgot their sole purpose on earth is to make Donny and I question everything we are as people and parents, got sidetracked, and actually had a small amount of fun.



















Here is Donny wondering how we ended up living on a different planet with these alien children of ours


And to say the park was crowded is an understatement.


Somehow we all survived the torteous day and lived to tell about it.

But for the record, let me clarify for her that Madilyn did have fun and did not complain and was being good. Maybe 1 out of 3 ain't so bad.

And can you believe they had the nerve to ask me later if we are still going to Six Flags next month?

Little Masochists

2 comments:

Erika said...

I love your comments! You make me feel so normal, because you write what I'm thinking :)

lelu said...

Glad to hear the glue gun worked. I cut the cookies with a super man cookie cutter. Matt actually made it for me a few years ago so Caveman could take superman cookies to school for his birthday. He's very handy to have around. ;)